Sunday, June 10, 2007

Web Log week 3

This week is "Hello Riverina" I was Vision Mixer. The tasks I were required to do were to listen to the Directors instructions about which cameras feed was going to be put live to air. This means listening to the Director as the Director can change the shot that is written down in the script or change how the next shot will be aired. This happened a number of times throughout the morning with the Director asking me to "fade" into the next shot instead of cutting to the next shot. Each time he done this I was able to follow his instructions properly as I was listening to him more so then just following the script.
To actually make the shots appear on the screen I was using the bottom row of buttons on the controller desk to program in the next shot that was to happen then with my other hand press the "cut" button when the Director told me to take the shot. During the interview when there were no set shots I switched to the method of pressing the second bottom row of buttons on the control panel which screens the shot you select without having to press the "cut" button with your other hand, this was very helpful during the interview segment as it allowed me to follow the Directors random quick cutting.
Overall I think we performed really well as a group as we finished in our quickest time yet and everyone in the studio seemed more comfortable and relaxed. I think everyone from the acting talent to the tapes operator did there jobs well. I think I was good in my job as Vision Mixer as I was always ready for what the Director wanted and I always had the next shot on the screen for the Director to preview it to see if he wanted it. I did make one mistake during the taped run as I didn't get the commercial break picture to air exactly as the same time as the audio but the picture stayed on the news reader so it was minimal and only a slip up of my finger and not my ability for the job.
Some things that I would suggest to be a successful Vision Mixer are:
# Listen to Director carefully
# Make sure you are familiar with the script
# Concentrate on script, Director and whats happening
# Make sure you are following whats going on in case Director gets distracted
# Familiarise yourself with the control desk
# Be alert

No comments: